1. Website visitors need clear directions on what to do when they arrive on your website.
Look at each page of your website and all landing pages, and decide if it would be clear to a prospect what his next step should be.
2. You can do a lot even with a small budget.
Focus on your targets, implement strategic programs, and measure the results to know where you should continue your efforts.
3. Social media is not going away, and needs to be embraced by ALL marketers.
This is one of the most important lead generation tips. Social Media is here to stay. Gone are the days of relying on your website and SEO alone to drive traffic to your site.
4. Direct mail may not be dead.
With many marketers solely focusing on email, direct mail now has the ability to stand out. The trick to deciding if direct mail is right for you is testing and segmentation. This allows you to make sure you are sending the right content to the right people without wasting marketing dollars on those who will be unreceptive.
5. Offers need to be relevant AND appropriate for the prospect's place in the buying cycle.
In demand-generation we often focus on creating great content, but the timing of when it is delivered is often an afterthought. Because consumers want to see different information at different parts of the decision process, the asset you choose to present at a particular time may often decide if you make their short lists.
6. Testing can allow you to enter a new market with little risk.
This is very important as many marketers need to look for new opportunities to grow, but can't afford to make costly mistakes. Testing allows for success while minimizing mistakes.
7. Incentives can work really well.
Some people are very motivated by incentives and will purchase because of the incentives they receive. The trick to using incentives well is to only use them for those that are motivated by them, instead of wasting marketing dollars by giving out incentives to all.
8. It's okay if people who will never buy your product consume your content.
While you want to drive the right traffic to your website and landing pages, others who are never going to buy anything from you are also going to download it. By using lead scoring or other lead qualifying methods you can avoid wasting sale's time contacting consultants, partners, analysts, students, and competitors, while benefiting from these non-prospects because they may share your information with those who will ultimately buy.
9. An event doesn't need to trend on Twitter to be great.
10. Demand generation is just a piece of the entire Marketing puzzle.
This list of lead generation tips is not comprehensive! You may have other ideas worth sharing.